AUNTIE KAKIE & MINI MURMAN! PUFFY PAINT PRO, YO!



kate murray, will murray, mini murman, @kateimurray

will murray, kakie murray, kate murray, mini murman

MEET MINI MURMAN!  This is Owen!  My adorable nephew that said "Ol-ver"  before he said many other words.  Owen is my oldest brother Will's son  and he is 18 months old.  He is in for a big shock.  In July he going to become a BIG BROTHER!  As Will knows...Sisters are amazing.  Will and I have a brother Angus that just doesn't do much for the family dynamic (JUST KIDDING THAT'S MY TEST TO SEE IF YOU ACTUALLY READ THIS, ANGUS.  I DON'T THINK YOU DO). 



kakiescraftery.etsy.com
Original Idea- Adorable Random Kid- Not my Nephew
My SISTER IN-IN-LAW & BRIDESMAID  Tracie randomly texted me this picture  and requested that I make Owen a shirt like this.  I attempted to back out.  The last time I used puffy paint I was in second grade and I hated it.  It was such a pain and my shirt looked stupid and my mom made me wear it anyway.  I hated wearing it to school and the colors I chose clashed.  Stupid Kate.   Anyway, I finally came around and agreed and I am happy that I did because the eventual end result is so much better than this picture!  No offense (if anyone knows this source please let me know and I will credit them with the idea).


THE FIRST THING TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE YOU START THIS PROJECT IS HOW MUCH TIME YOU HAVE.  HOW MUCH DO YOU LOVE THIS PERSON?  THE SHIRT I AM SHOWING YOU HOW TO MAKE TOOK ME A TOTAL OF TWELVE, YES, TWELVE HOURS TO MAKE.    That is being kind with time.  I probably spent more than that if  you add in the time it took me to go and get the supplies.  I had to go to 3 different stores to find the shirts.  You must also keep in mind that I am of the crafty persuasion.   If this is something newer to you it may take you even longer.  Just something to be noted.  If you are a beginner you will be able to take on this project  but it will take you time.  




MATERIALS NEEDED:

1. CLEAN COTTON SHIRT

2. MASKING TAPE

3. 2 SIZES OF POSTER STENCILS

4.  FINE TIP SHARPIES IN THE COLORS OF YOUR PUFFY PAINT


5.  PUFFY PAINT- BUY 2 BOTTLES OF EACH COLOR (trust me)

6. Cardboard cut to size of shirt.

**One of my puffy paint bottles had clumps in it so I had to constantly shake it and push a pin into it to break up the clumps.  I suggest just buying 2 bottles of the same color.  If you do not use the second bottle you can just return it.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Place the tape down on the shirt so that you can see that the stencils will be straight and fit properly.  Figure out all of your spacing.  You will see that the stencils have holes in them so that you can align them properly.  This will not work for this project as you do not have adequate space on this little belly.
kakiescraftery.etsy.comkakiescraftery.etsy.com


2. Now that you have all of the spacing figured out. Trace the stencils onto your shirt.  Once this is finished you can remove the stencils.
puffy paintpuffy paint

3.  Begin by outlining the outline of the letter first and then fill it in.  I found it handy to squeeze the bottle away from the shirt first and then approach the letters with the bottle ready to write.  This also reduced the risk of splattering onto my shirt.  If you do splatter paint onto your shirt DO NOT WIPE IT.  If there are little beads of splatter allow them to fully dry.  The next day you can just pluck them off with tweezers. (tweezers are like puffy paint's eraser)


puffy paint







TAKE NOTE HERE  I WAITED UNTIL THE LETTERS WERE COMPLETELY DRY BETWEEN ROWS! 
 IF YOU TRY TO DO THE ENTIRE SHIRT AT ONCE YOU WILL SMUDGE A LETTER SOMEWHERE.


COMPLETELY DRY: In most instances I left the shirt to dry over night.  I find that I tend to fuss and poke projects so if I leave something to dry over night I don't mess it up.


kakiescraftery.etsy.com




kakiescraftery.etsy.com
kakiescraftery.etsy.com








kakiescraftery.etsy.comkakiescraftery.etsy.com


4. Finish it off!  One Layer gives you a flat painted look like you would get on any t-shirt. I Chose to do a Three layer process as I am an AWESOME AUNTIE!    I also had this vision of Owen tracing his fingers along the letters if I made them more interactive.  I OUTLINED and DID NOT FILL IN the "ONLY" 3 more times.  This means I did a layer and allowed at LEAST A FOUR HOUR DRYING TIME IN BETWEEN EACH APPLICATION.  FOR "CHILD" I did the same thing but made the entire word puffy.  So one word is raised and one word is concave.  

DID I LOSE  YOU?  Are you thinking.. there is NO WAY IN HELL I AM DOING THIS?  WHAT'S IT WORTH  TO YOU?  How much would you pay yourself an hour to make this?  What do you make an hour?  Your time is important.  Don't forget... You are reading this because your probably already have child!  Do you have the time to make this?

Let's pretend you make  WAY BELOW minimum wage at $6.00 an hour
We will say it will only take you 12 hours -          12 hours 
Supplies:  $18 Puffy paints, shirt, tape, stencils (depending on if you have the shirt)

COST FOR PROJECT FOR YOU TO MAKE:  Approximately $90

COST TO BUY FROM KAKIE'S CRAFTERY- ONLY CHILD SHIRT: $40

I Would like to note that most of you make much more than $6 and hour.  What is your time really worth?  What would you really pay yourself to make this shirt?  Use your hourly wage and the number of hours you think it will take for you to make this shirt.  I am interested to see what you come up with! 


Will Murray, Murman, Mini Murman, Howard Stern Show, @murman78
The MURMEN
 Will Murray from the Howard Stern Show





kakiescraftery.etsy.com, mini murman
Mini MURMAN
Yes, I wrote "MURMAN" in glitter... Seemed the right thing to do.
How cute is OWEN?





kakiescraftery.etsy.com

kakiescraftery.etsy.com



Custom Shirt for sale on kakiescraftery.etsy.com
Create their first jersey! FOR SALE ON:  kakiescraftery.etsy.com


TEAM MURMAN!  Create YOUR SHIRT! kakiescraftery.etsy.com



1 comment: