HOLY CRUST! Last minute apple pie.



On New  Eve Years Day I found myself in Bayonne in the Stop & Shop.  They have the SCAN IT system.  I got so caught up in it that I forgot to buy things to make a dessert for New Years dinner.  It so awesome!  For those of you who are not aware... You scan items while you shop and bag them while walking around and then at check out you just scan the hand held and pay.  It is LIFE ALTERING!  

For dinner I made an awesome Lamb chops with a balsamic reduction, roasted cauliflower mash, and roasted carrots.  In the midst of making my balsamic reduction I realized I didn't have a dessert!  I'm not much of a dessert person (trying to lose some major LBS for my wedding) but it was NEW YEARS and my fiancé really does love a good dessert.


While I was standing there reducing my sauce I remembered I had this pastry pocket press I got on an impulse buy when there was a 30% sale on all things Wilton at AC Moore.  I also always have Pillsbury pie crusts laying around and I checked the date on them and they were still GOOD (I had them for my MINI ICE CREAM SWEET POTATO PIES).  Typically, I have them frozen in the freezer because they have them on sale so I will buy them on sale and then thaw them when I need them.





Here is what I did.  I had some left over filling and I probably could have made one more pie pocket but I didn't feel like it.  

YOU WILL NEED:

2 GRANNY SMITH APPLES
PILLSBURRY PIE CRUSTS
WILTON PIE PCOKET MOLD
PARCHMENT PAPER
1/4 CUP SUGAR
1/4  TSP APPLE PIE SPICE
1/2 TABLE SPOON CINNAMON
1/16  TSP ALL SPICE
1/16 TSP NUTMEG
1/16  TSP GINGER
1 TABLESPOON LEMON JUICE
LEMON ZEST
1 EGG




DIRECTIONS:

1. PREHEAT OVEN TO 400F

2.  CHOP APPLES AND PLACE IN LARGE BOWL

3.  JUICE HALF OF A LEMON AND MIX IN WITH APPLE, ZEST STIR IN SUGAR,  LEMON ZEST, & SPICES.  STIR AND SET ASIDE




4.  LIGHTLY FLOUR WORK SURFACE AND ROLL OUT DOUGH.   USING BOTTOM OF PRESS CUT OUT ALL RECTANGLE PIECES.

6. PLACE RECTANGLE PIECE INTO INSIDE OF PRESS.  YOU MAY HAVE TO ROLL IT OUT SO ITS A LITTLE WIDER.  PLACE WITH FILLING.  BRUSH EDGES WITH EGG WASH AND PLACE ANOTHER RECTANGLE ON TOP.  CLOSE THE PRESS AND FLIP THE PASTRY POCKET OUT.     PLACE ON PARCHMENT PAPERED COOKIE SHEET.  REPEAT  UNTIL YOU RUN OUT OF DOUGH.

7. CUT SLITS IN TOPS OF ALL OF YOUR PASTRY POCKETS.  EGG WASH THE TOPS & EDGES OF ALL POCKETS.  SPRINKLE SUGAR EVENLY OVER ALL OF THE PIE POCKETS.

8.  BAKE FOR 17-20 MINUTES UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN DEPENDING ON YOUR OVEN.

9.  REMOVE FROM OVEN AND ALLOW TO COOL.  PLATE WITH ICE CREAM & ENJOY!






EGG WASH & FILL

YOU CAN TELL WHICH WAS MY 1ST ATTEMPT!


TASTED GREAT WITH PISTACHIO ICE CREAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment